For and Against Abortion Thesis Statements
Abortion has been a debatable topic for decades. One can neither believe abortion to be good nor evil. Different societies have got distinct controversies about the issues involved in abortion. Moreover, the risks of lives make this social issue more debatable. Almost seventeen percent pregnancies end in abortion killing hundreds of innocent lives per year. Writing abortion thesis in colleges & universities is a great way to emphasize facts entailed in abortion.
It’s a choice of students whether to go for a pro or anti abortion thesis; however, they have to back up their thesis with the aid of strong arguments and evidences to prove their viewpoint. Abortion thesis statement is what that gives an idea to a reader about the viewpoint of author; thus, students should write abortion thesis statements in a way that persuade their target audience.
Here is one example each for and against abortion thesis statement with guidelines to help students in creating a persuasive thesis statement on abortion:
Pro Abortion Thesis Statement Example:
“Idea of Individuality and human life is not quite the same. Idea of a human life has come from conception; simultaneously on the other hand, fertilized eggs used for in vitro fertilization are also human lives but eggs unable to implant are routinely thrown away. Would you like to call it a murder and if not, then how is abortion a murder?”
- It is right of a woman whether to give up or adopt her child for adoption.
- Abortion is a safe medical procedure for women who do it in their first trimester.
- It is better for a woman to go for adoption if she has become a victim of rape or incest to avoid any further psychological harm.
Anti Abortion Thesis Statement Example:
“Abortion is badly affecting our society today. People in huge numbers feel it to be evil as it kills an unborn for no reason. Conversely, others believe that it is a woman’s legal right to choose abortion especially in case of incest, rape, or health issues threatening life of a mother. To kill unborn using dreadful procedures is not only wrong for the doctors to perform, but morally wrong too”.
- Abortion is same as the murder of an innocent.
- Abortion gives rise to an intense psychological pain to a woman.
- End result of late abortion may lead the woman to bear several medical complications.
The process to end a pregnancy is termed ‘abortion’. It involves removal of the embryo from the uterus before it can reach viability. An abortion can be induced through surgery or medicine, or can occur accidentally. Colloquially, abortion refers to an induced end to pregnancy, while an accidental end is termed ‘miscarriage’.
Abortion has been a source of considerable controversy throughout human history. Methods to abort unwanted or undesired pregnancies have been recorded in the earliest of human civilizations, dating back to the ancient Egyptians. Since abortion involves the termination of a probable human life (because the embryo hasn’t yet reached viability), it has generally been either illegal through much of human history. In most modern societies, however, abortion continues to be legal, while still generating raging debates over its ethical and legal viability.
As a medical procedure, abortion is fairly straightforward and can be induced either through a minimally invasive surgery, or medically through the administration of certain drugs. The feasibility of the two abortion methods depends on the embryo development stage. In early stage pregnancies – up to 9 weeks – medical abortion is advised over surgical abortion since it is cheaper, safer, and has a 96% success rate. After the first 9 weeks, abortion can be performed only through surgical methods such as vacuum abortion performed through suction-aspiration, or Dilation & Evacuation (D&E), an advanced method more appropriate for pregnancies between the 15th to 26th weeks. When performed by a trained professional, abortion is among the safest medical procedures in the world. Yet, unsafe abortions performed by people without adequate training result in 70,000 maternal deaths and 5 million acute disabilities every year.
Abortion raises a host of ethical issues since it basically involves the termination of a probable human life. Debates rage as to when and whether a developing embryo can still be termed as ‘human’, and if it is legally and ethically justifiable to terminate such an embryo before it can develop into a human being. Abortion raises a plethora of religious issues as well, since most religions consider the developing embryo to be human, making abortion the equivalent of murder (at least in religious terms). Proponents of abortion point to the fact that an embryo doesn’t develop ‘life’ until late into the pregnancy, and that societal and personal issues might at times make it safer to abort an embryo than to carry it to viability (especially in cases of rape).
The legality of abortion varies from region to region and state to state. Laws also vary according to the mental and physical state of the woman in question, and whether the pregnancy was the result of sexual assault. By and large, abortion is legal in much of the developed world for adults, while the legality varies from state to state in developing countries.
Abortion Thesis Statement Examples:
* The psychological and physiological dangers of unwanted pregnancies necessitate the legalization and easy availability of abortion facilities.
* The psychological and medical exigencies associated with an abortion necessitate the consent of a parent or guardian before a minor can undergo an abortion.
* The debate over the legal and ethical viability of abortion has been complicated by the lack of consensus in defining whether a developing embryo can be equated with a human life.
* An objective analysis of the abortion debate without the inclusion of religious objections to the practice is required if we are to come to a consensus over its ethical and legal viability.
* The consent of parents should be a must before a minor opts for abortion procedure.
* A majority of people feel that therapeutic abortions are necessary as they are pro-life.
Be Sociable, Share!